If you’ve noticed any discoloration on your roof, chances are it’s a roof stain. Roof stains can be unsightly and can lower the overall value of your home. Understanding what causes them and how to clean them is key to keeping the exterior of your home looking great. To help you out, local roofing contractor ABM Services & Renovations will explain what roof stains are, their common causes and harmful effects, and a step-by-step guide on how to effectively get rid of them.
What Are Roof Stains?
Roof stains are dark spots on the surface of your shingles caused by mildew or mold growth or an accumulation of dirt or debris from air pollution such as pollen particles from nearby trees or cars driving by outside your home. These discolorations are usually darker than the surrounding area because moisture has been trapped beneath their surface creating ideal conditions for algae growth which gives off these dark-colored patches when exposed to sunlight over time.
The most common causes of roof stains are
- airborne pollutants like pollen grains accumulating on roofs where moisture is present
- clogged gutters preventing water drainage
- leaf debris left behind after storms
- too much shade covering portions of the roof
- improper ventilation leading to humidity build-up underneath shingle surfaces
- poor quality materials used during installation causing premature aging/degradation due to lack of weather protection capabilities
- algal blooms caused by excess nutrient runoff (fertilizers)
What Are The Potential Harmful Effects Of Roof Stains?
If left untreated for too long, stains can lead to more serious issues like accelerated roofing deterioration due to inadequate insulation against UV rays. Water damage caused by blocked drains can result in rot formation below shingle surfaces, eventually leading to structural problems throughout entire buildings. In addition, black streaks tendered through mossy areas indicate possible cracking within the material itself, weakening its integrity.
How To Clean And Get Rid Of Your Roof Stain
Here’s a step-by-step guide:
- First things first – inspect your roof carefully! Take note if cracks are forming along edges where stains might have seeped further down onto underlying structures requiring repairs before starting the cleaning process.
- Pressure wash your roof to remove any dirt, debris, and other materials that may have caused the stain. Make sure to use a mild detergent solution and spray from the top down to prevent water damage while cleaning.
- Apply a specialized product specifically designed for treating/removing stains on roofs. Follow instructions closely as these can vary depending brand of product you purchased.
- If necessary, scrub the affected area gently with a brush or soft cloth to aid in the removal process.
- Rinse off with clean water.
- Lastly, inspect surrounding areas to ensure there isn’t any further staining present before wrapping up the job completely.
If the stains are still present, consider replacing the roof as a last resort. This may be necessary if the damage has been caused by structural issues such as water damage or cracking due to age and wear and tear. Replacing your roof with new shingles can help restore it to its original beauty and prevent future staining.
If you need a roofing professional in McDonough, GA, look no further than ABM Services & Renovations. We specialize in all aspects of residential and commercial roof installation services. Hire us and we’ll have your roof looking like new again in no time! Contact us today at (770) 288-2368 for a free, no-obligation quote! You can also reach us online to learn more about our products and services.